Lesson Learned: When you ask, you do receive

28 November 2004

So, I started on the 4.5 hour trip from Pensacola to Gainesville at 11am. It's 10:30 now, and I just got home. Driving home, I must admit that I kept thinking of a way I could get out of having to work tonight.
If everything went out as I planned, I would have been home at 4pm, but I didn't want to go to work because of the mounds of homework due tomorrow, but today

Murphy's law reigned supreme in the worst possible way

Firstly: somewhat expected, traffic was just plain terrible.
Secondly: somewhat foreseen, crossing the I-10 bridge took an hour and a half. Picture it-- hundreds of cars merging onto a one-lane bridge spanning a couple of miles. However, in the amount of time I had wasted on that bridge, I did manage to revamp my cell's phonebook.

Yes. While driving.
Moving on.

Thirdly: totally unexpected and unforeseen, 45 minutes away from Gainesville my drive starts getting a little bumpy. To be on the safe side, I check the tires. They were okay, but the psi was a little low, so a quick call to daddy turns into daddy's rant about a recent Walmart tire rotation done on my car wherein the psi is supposed to be above 30 (Damn Walmart for my misfortunes, soon to be recounted exclusively and uninhibitedly on this blog). Quickly I get distressed, and I think to myself, "okay, just get the tires filled." I spot an air compressor (or whatever those things are called) at the BP gas station, and I get out of my car, and wouldn't you know? I locked the door behind me. And, yes,
the key was still in the ignition.
The car was still running.
fuuuuuuuck.
Still on the phone with daddy dearest, I fill him in, and he becomes even angrier. Then, after he runs out of words to express how deeply upset he is, he gives the phone to my mom, and she continues.
This is the third time I've locked myself out. Stupid. No other word could fit so perfectly. Luckily for me, I'm a AAA member. AAA has bailed me out on my two prior offenses, so I was happy and quick to sing their praises when they said they'd come within an hour to slim jim my car ("definitely within the hour since your car is running," they told me). I told my parents. I called my roommate. I told my boss that I got a flat tire, but I would be there around 8. That was at 6pm.
At 7:30pm, I was still stranded, and
I was crying into a stranger's cell phone
trying to explain how frustrated I was to the AAA representative. My cell phone had been dead thirty minutes.

At 9:30 pm, finally they arrive. They being the oxymoronic savior and demon of my situation whom I hate to love and love to hate. The locksmiths. Without an explaination, apology, or much else, they pop open my car, check my ID, and leave.
I had waited two and a half hours for that two minutes.
My superstitious self is trying to trace back to where I went wrong, and all I can think of is my trying to get out of working, and
God definitely provided me with the most outlandish excuse that nobody would believe
Oh, and my horoscope for today:
Why is it that so few people are able to live up to your expectations right now? Today you might have to face the realization that others may not be as reliable as you had hoped. If you're unprepared to go off on your own, be more cautious about the allies you choose this time. Look at things from a different side. Seeing a situation from the other person's vantage point may help you be less critical. Tonight, expect a sweet surprise from your best pal or lover.
I'm still waiting for that sweet surprise. Thirty minutes are now left in the day... anyone up for it??

I didn't think so.

No comments:

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web