It's gonna be troublin'

16 January 2005

This semester has just started, and I can already feel it. But for now, all is calm.

Recapping Thursday, there was an FSA meeting. I showed up probably 10 minutes late, and still the meeting hadn't started, but most of the seats were taken. I enter through the front, take the Barkada newsletter one girl was handing out, and pretend to read it as I head straight for the back and scope out the scene. Leaner was sitting in the front, but quickly got up from his seat to approach me.

"Hi," Leaner says, smiling as he eyes me up and down.
I lift my eyes up from the Barkada, muster up the best smile I could give for someone who has made my life misery, and I say, "Oh, Hey."
"Are you going to sit down?" Leaner asked.
I flick my eyes to where he had formerly sat, and I saw an empty seat next to his. Knowing that my affirmative answer would lead to his imploring me to sit next to him, I refuse. "I've been sitting all day."
I look to the left of me and see DJ Loki with his gf, so I take the opportunity to excuse myself from Leaner and congratulate the DJ for making it in our campus newspaper. Then, I head back to my former spot, with Leaner still hanging around the area.
Fifteen minutes after the meeting was supposed to begin, a hush fills the room as the officers finally call it to order. Leaner sets himself to be close to me, but at the last second I make a mad dash to the front, where there is an empty seat left. I gave myself a mental standing ovation not only for averting that foreseen hour of discomfort, but for getting an upclose view of Dr. Can and Mr. President.

As easy as it is to say I'm over Dr. Can, I still find myself drawn in. What is wrong with me?? I acknowledge that he wouldn't see me like I see him, but I still hope and wish. Anyway, I suffer through the meeting as best as I could, but I'm rehearsing exactly what to say to Leaner. I read through what I outlined to say, I rehearsed it in my head a few times, and I feel very nervous at the end of the meeting when I realize what I'm about to do. He comes to me right after the meeting, and he asks me if I was going to head out to the others to eat. I tell him probably not because of my growing pile of homework, although I'm considering it. He then leans in to me, and in a teasingly flirtatious voice that makes the hairs at the back of my neck stand on end, he tells me, "do you want to know what I was testing you on?"
I smile out of disbelief that he would have the audacity to bring that up again, especially as if to flirt with me. How much easier he was making it for me to tell him what he had to hear. I debated for a moment whether I really wanted to know or not. In truth, I did and I still do, but perhaps verbalizing the truth would in some stretch lead him on, and my New Years Resolution is not to lead the leaner. Hence: "I'd rather not, but I do have something to tell you." I look around, and I see still quite a bit of people, and then I think that it's not the most appropriate setting. Then, I see LA, and I wimpily excuse myself. After he laughs at me, and then after Kenny laughs at me, I go back to my spot to gather my things.

Leaner wasn't there, but he was still in the area. He makes his way to me, but then moments later, who else should come to me but Dr. Can. Dr. Can came to me. We talk about the spurs, then about our winter vacation-- Leaner still in the background --and I'm thinking what would make him go out of his way to talk to me?? Could it be?? Could it truly be???!

And then, he walks up to me after thirty seconds of conversation with Dr. Can. It's the President. Oh my freaking goodness, it's the president, and I wanted to laaaaaugh. And then, there was Mark and Alex. Four Guys! I couldn't have planned it out any better, because there I was, with four very gorgeous guys coming up to little old me, and there was the Leaner, fading away in the distance. What a perfect moment.

I want to paint this moment with my words for as long as I can just so I could savor it every time I look back on this post.

Anyway, at this point, Leaner is nonexistent to me. The President asks me if I'm going to catch something to eat. I say no. President looks somewhat disheartened, and then who should intercede but Dr. Can. "Wait! Let's try that again," he says.
President asks me if I'm going to eat, again. This time, I say yes, just because I was caught up in the moment. Then, I realize, I really don't have any money. I say this, and Mr. President says he doesn't know if he has any extra cash on him. He opens up his wallet and checks, and Dr. Can pulls the wallet and reveals its contents. Two Snoop Dogg Tickets.

I marvel at the two tickets, and then! Oh, can you only imagine what then after Dr. Can smiles and suggestively/jokingly throws out, "You can go with him to the Snoop Dogg show."

In that split second, it hits me. Like a sixteen-pound, regulation three-holed bowling ball with "Big Boy" engraved on it, it hits me. Dr. Can didn't approach me on his behalf, but on the President's. He is trying to play matchmaker! Oh, if he only knew, how he would laugh just like I am about how melodramaticly high school this whole thing is.

Why are Filipino guys so shy when it comes to this? They still act like grade school boys with a crush. Black guys are straightforward, Hispanic guys are suave, White guys-- well, they act like white guys-- and Filipino guys act like boys!!!!
And, until at least one Filipino guy is straight forward with me, I will write off every single Filipino male as a stupid boy. Just like Dr. Can. Just like Mr. President. Just like Leaner. All of them. Well... then there's Mark, who calls me his wifey, but as cute as he is (and, he sure is) I just can't take him seriously, and therefore he is just a stupid boy like the rest of them.

Anyway, after that incident, I re-prep myself to tell Leaner what it is I had to tell him. Then, as he is walking out with me, he tells me he has an organic quiz the next day. Immediately, the words retract from my foremost thoughts, and I don't have the heart to tell him something that could affect his quiz-taking the next day. Kenny yells at me later, but whatever.

I did manage to tell Leaner in the parking lot that I would never plan something again, especially since he stood me up twice. Hopefully that message got through to him, but I don't think it did since he still tried something at the restaurant. Thankfully, Kenny sat by me the entire night.

Okay, so rethinking everything, I retract the whole "Filipino guys are boys" thing. Kenny is a man. He is good to me. All these other guys are trifling. Pshh. whatever.

The rest of the weekend was unimpressively lackidasical, which was especially disappointing since my horoscope said big things would happen this weekend if I let it. Bleh, I didn't feel like going out, but I cleaned like mad. My room even got compliments from some of my roommate's friends. In fact, I'm a bit weirded out about how clean this room is right now. Really weirded out.

Tomorrow is MLKday. So sad to think that a man so beautiful could have been so unjustly murdered. I could only hope to make a fraction of an impact that he has had on the humanity.

No comments:

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web