me and the athiest

05 October 2004

I met an athiest this weekend coming out of 238. His name was Ted, and he helped me walk across a puddle. So, he asked for my #, and I'm incapable of resisting anyone who pays me profuse compliments (not matter how corny they may be), and he called me the next day.

He asked to hang out w/ me sometime (this was saturday that he asked) and I said, Sunday at noon, after church. He then began preaching to me how any people with religion are deluding themselves and not accepting reality. Also, by having a religion that defines what is good from what is evil, one keeps himself from objectivity and equality for all people. And, Ted ranted to me for an hour about how Christians are not open-minded and that the very basis of every religion is unfounded. He, as an athiest, relies soley on proven truths, and he said he is open-minded, but at that same point he flat out calls me irrational for being a Christian. I was willing to accept his beliefs without further discussion, but he would not stop his verbal persecution of Christianity until I would recant my own beliefs. Hypocrisy, thy name is Ted.

My Rebuttal: Firstly, the very basis of any religion is that of faith, and the very point of it is that you have to just believe without the proof of existance. Just because there is no photograph or video recording of God creating everything does not mean that it never happened. The proof that there is a God is my very existence, and the existence of life everywhere else. And, in all of my experiences, and through all the decisions I have made, God has been with me. In everything tangible, I understand His power and care. In everyone I meet, I feel His goodness and love.

And, I cried. I felt weak and belittled by his athiest arguments and I told him not to call me back. I prayed so earnestly for his soul, and I felt so horrible that i had refused his soul's cry for help. I was so angry (at him and at myself)t, but I could not hate him, and now that my head is a little clearer, I feel sorry for him. His hypocritical cynicism will let him never experience true beauty or love. He will never see life as having meaning or purpose. He will live life knowing that when he dies, he will no longer exist. If that is reality, then call me irrational for wanting more.

No comments:

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web